July 21, 2014
Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Community Development Financial Institutions Fund (CDFI Fund) released the schedule of the first five free webinars that will be provided as part of the Capacity Building Initiative’s “Financing Community Health Centers” series. The technical assistance webinars, held between August 2014 and January 2015, will provide Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) with best practices on successful financing from the leading experts in the field.
The CDFI Fund launched the “Financing Community Health Centers” series in February 2013 to build the capacity of CDFIs to successfully finance and provide services to community health centers in underserved communities. The free webinars are designed to maximize the reach of this important capacity building for the CDFI industry. The webinars will cover the series’ training curriculum as well as topical content developed by community health center financing experts.
The first five webinars are:
Future webinar opportunities will be posted as they are finalized to the "Financing Community Health Centers" webpage.
- Trends in Health Care (Wednesday, August 6, 2014, 2 p.m. EDT): Join us for the first webinar of the Financing CHCs webinar series! To get us started, this webinar provides an overview of the American health care delivery system and the role that community health centers play within it. The session highlights the major shifts occurring in the health care industry, including affordability and cost, and the importance of community health centers providing access to affordable health care. The module concludes by demonstrating that health center investment can be a central element for a series of community development objectives.
- Defining the CHC Landscape (Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 2 p.m. EDT): Wondering about what exactly makes a community health center, a community health center? Join us for a webinar that offers a historical perspective of the community health center movement and the essential elements to be a federally qualified health center. This webinar will help CDFIs understand the types of patients that health centers serve, the services provided, and the types of revenue and funds generated by community health centers. The webinar will conclude with a discussion of the major drivers of growth for health centers and opportunities for CDFIs to support this growth.
- Primary Credit Needs of CHCs and Sources of Credit (Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 2 p.m. EDT): What are the major capital project needs for community health centers over the next five years? Attend to discuss and learn how to help meet these needs. This webinar highlights the primary types and uses of loan products that community health centers request and summarizes the major sources of capital for community health centers, including those provided by public, private, and philanthropic entities.
- CHC Financial and Operational Metrics and Trends (Tuesday, October 7, 2014, 2 p.m. EDT): Join our expert presenter to better understand what a typical community health center looks like from an operational and financial perspective. This webinar provides an overview of community health centers’ operating structures, composition of revenue streams, and typical expenses (including staffing structures and how they impact revenues and productivity). The webinar also highlights the changing community health center payor environment and how it may affect health centers.
- Underwriting CHCs (Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 2 p.m. EDT): Now that you have a better understanding of community health centers, this webinar provides CDFIs with the essential tools to understand the key elements of community health center credit analysis and underwriting. This webinar will highlight common risks and mitigations in lending to community health centers and how CDFIs should incorporate the financial ratios discussed in the “CHC Financial and Operational Metrics and Trends” webinar in the credit analysis process. In addition to financial analysis, our experts will discuss other underwriting considerations such as collateral, management and governance, competition, and social and community development impacts.
The "Financing Community Health Centers" webinars are free and open to the general public, but advanced registration is required to access the presentation. Registration may be completed up until the start time listed for each individual session. Click here to register.
Past webinars will be archived and added to the “Financing Community Health Centers” Resource Bank available on the CDFI Fund’s website. In addition, the CDFI Fund has recently updated the Resource Bank to include additional training and reference materials. Visit the Resource Bank here
To learn more about the “Financing Community Health Centers” series and the other training series available under the Capacity Building Initiative, please visit www.cdfifund.gov/cbi.