Relevant Training Curriculum chapters can be found on the Resource Bank's main page.
As the housing industry grows, many Native CDFIs are looking to develop housing products or expand their work in this field. This course was designed for both organizations that want to pursue housing as a brand-new line of business and organizations that want to expand the type of housing products they offer. Course material focused on housing products, and the training discussed strategies, partnerships, and tools provided by national programs that support housing efforts.
- Explain the basics of the mortgage lending industry and describe key housing partners, tools, resources, and programs;
- Formulate strategies to create new or expand existing housing loan products and services to meet the demand in their Native communities for long-term, affordable mortgage capital;
- Address challenges with the residential leasing and mortgage lending processes on trust land and engage tribal leaders to advocate for tribal policies that create an environment conducive to private mortgage lending; and
- Develop a plan to operationalize housing lending creation and/or expansion strategies that includes staff training, licensing, and regulatory compliance unique to the mortgage lending industry.
- Developing Strong Native CDFI Housing Products and Services Presentation
- Developing Strong Native CDFI Housing Products and Services Manual
- Developing Strong Native CDFI Housing Products and Services Agenda
- Prosperity Now Preventing Foreclosure Preserving Homeownership: A paper detailing how loan servicers can use high-touch methods to prevent foreclosure.
- Oweesta 2017 Industry Profile: A snapshot of financial, portfolio, and growth ratios for Native CDFIs at fiscal year-end 2017.
- Four Directions New Paths Home Impact Study (2015): A study detailing the long-term impact of Four Directions on their target market.
- Fannie Mae Presentation at Oweesta's Capital Access Convening: A presentation explaining the process to become a Fannie Mae seller-servicer delivered at the Capital Access convening.
- Native American Mortgage Loan Comparisons: A chart comparing different types of available mortgage loans.
- CILC Down Payment Assistance Program: A Down Payment Assistance (DPA) program application provided as a sample by Cook Inlet Lending Center.
- Sample Housing Lending Policies: Sample loan policies for a CDFI housing lender.
The compilation of these documents was funded by the CDFI Fund, under Contract GS00Q14OADU119. The curriculum and opinions expressed in these documents are those of the authors, who are solely responsible for the content, and do not reflect the opinions of the CDFI Fund or any other person, entity, or organization.