Relevant Training Curriculum chapters can be found on the Resource Bank's main page.
Under the BNSCI II, Native CDFIs attended a series of eight webinar trainings covering a variety of capacity-building topics. Webinar descriptions, learning objectives, and resources are included below for each of the webinars.
Successful Lending Practices: Collections
This interactive Native CDFI panelist webinar discussed meaningful strategies and best practices to strengthen your collections process. Participants received tips from this panel of experienced Native CDFI practitioners on how to create positive outcomes for their clients AND your bottom line.
- Explain how collections work for different types of Native CDFI lending, including small business, homeownership, agricultural, and larger collateralized consumer loans;
- Describe the process and timeline from closing a loan to write-offs and where collections fits in this process (including, but not limited to document collection, perfecting collateral, payments and monitoring, follow up, late notices, repossession, selling collateral, write-offs);
- Outline best practices related to collections at a Native CDFI;
- Explain the challenges related to collections at a Native CDFIs and strategies to overcome them; and
- Describe how the legal system affects collections and what Native CDFI practitioners can do if there is not a strong legal structure in place.
Successful Lending Practices: Turning Loan Prospects into Successful Applicants
This interactive webinar discussed meaningful strategies to overcome barriers to application completion and best practices related to a streamlined application process. Participants also learned tips to reduce applicant frustration and increase the number of completed applications.
- Explain the challenges to application completion;
- Describe strategies to overcome barriers to application completion;
- Apply best practices related to a streamlined application process to reduce applicant frustration and increase number of completed applications;
- Develop simple tracking mechanisms and processes for pipeline monitoring.
- Successful Lending Practices: Turning Loan Prospects into Successful Applicants Webinar Recording
- Successful Lending Practices: Turning Loan Prospects into Successful Applicants Presentation
- Business Plan Outline: A template that can be used to work with clients to develop successful business plans.
- Commercial Loan Process Grid: A sample loan process grid detailing out each step in the loan process and assigning staff responsibility shared by Citizen Potawatomi Community Development Corporation.
- CPCDC Commercial Lending Program Loan Policy: Loan Policies shared by Citizen Potawatomi Community Development Corporation.
Best Practices in Marketing
This webinar discussed meaningful strategies and best practices to strengthen Native CDFI's marketing efforts.
- Explain and develop a simple mission-based marketing strategy for their organization;
- Outline marketing strategies that inspire strategic thinking for growth;
- Explain and design a simple mini marketing plan for their organization for implementation;
- Describe and understand the importance of brand and consistent messaging in marketing; and
- Start a digital and email marketing campaign using best practices of digital/email marketing.
In this webinar, participants learned how developing a holistic human capital development strategy builds staff competency and supports Native CDFI's strength and sustainability.
- Understand the value of developing human capital to support organizational sustainability;
- Differentiate between staff training and staff development;
- Develop an action plan for identifying and prioritizing training needs;
- Identify training opportunities relevant to organizational positions and develop an organizational training protocol;
- Identify development opportunities for staff that are accessible and in line with organizational culture; and
- Develop a human capital development strategy, which may include performance management tools and individual development plans.
- Staff Development Webinar Recording
- Staff Development Presentation
- Sample Employee Handbook: A sample employee handbook from the National Council of Nonprofits.
- Creating Nonprofit Policies: A resource from BoardSource on creating nonprofit policies.
- Establishing Effective Policies, Procedures, and Management Controls: A workbook from the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Effective Financial and Grant Management: The Art and Science of Nonprofit Budgeting
This webinar discussed the whats, whys, whos, and hows of developing a budget, with a specific focus on using an organization's budget to guide the organization.
- Explain the types of budgets and their uses;
- Name core components of a basic budget;
- Identify steps to developing a budget and the stakeholders involved in the process;
- Identify 3 common ways to allocate shared costs; and
- Analyze a budget-to-actual financial report.
- Effective Financial and Grant Management: The Art and Science of Nonprofit Budgeting Webinar Recording
- Effective Financial and Grant Management: The Art and Science of Nonprofit Budgeting Presentation
- Sample Organization Statement of Financial Income and Expense
This webinar provided insight on how Native CDFIs can attract, govern, communicate with, and effectively manage a board to support organizational growth and sustainability.
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of a CDFI board;
- Recruit and equip new board members with the tools to be effective;
- Develop policies around board structure and performance; and
- Identify board management best practices for improved communication, governance, and engagement.
- Board Development Webinar Recording
- Board Development Presentation
- State Association of Nonprofits: A good resource for board recruitment.
- Board Matching Resources: Directory of nonprofit and for-profit programs exist that make it easier to find board candidates and make it easier for board candidates to find your organization.
- Board Bylaws: Bylaws are the legally binding rules that outline how the board of a nonprofit will operate; this resource explains bylaws and what should be included.
- Independent Sector's Principle for Good Governance and Ethical Practice: Outlines 33 principles of sound practice for charitable organizations and foundations related to legal compliance and public disclosure, effective governance, financial oversight, and responsible fundraising.
- Effective Native CDFI Governance by the Board of Directors: Developed by the NeighborWorks Training Institute, this training enables participants to work more effectively with their CDFIs' board of directors and ensure that their boards are supporting their CDFIs' move to the next level.
- Board Assessment Questionnaires: There are several questionnaires that boards can use for self-assessment, including one from the New Hampshire Center for Nonprofits, one developed by McKinsey and Company, and one developed by BoardSource.
Consumer Loan Underwriting
This webinar laid the foundation for the underwriting series, detailing the basics of the underwriting process while focusing on and uses examples specific to consumer lending. It is the first of a two-part series focused on underwriting. The second webinar, shown below, specifically focused on small business underwriting and risk assessment. Native CDFI small business underwriters are encouraged to view both, as the second webinar built upon the first.
- Describe the elements of good loan policies;
- Explain the role of an underwriter;
- Outline the 5 C's of credit (capacity, character, collateral, capital, and conditions);
- Prepare a credit memo; and
- List the components of loan files.
Small Business Underwriting
This webinar walked through the underwriting process, focusing on risk assessment for micro and small business lending. While each webinar is designed to stand alone, participants were also encouraged to listen to the first webinar in the series (described above), which laid the foundation of the underwriting process.
- Explain the role of an underwriter;
- Discuss the underwriting process;
- Describe the key elements of a credit memo; and
- Perform risk analysis on a small business loan.
- Small Business Underwriting Webinar Recording
- Small Business Underwriting Presentation
- Loan Financial Tool: A simple excel table designed to help CDFIs do financial analysis as part of the small business underwriting process.
The compilation of these documents was funded by the CDFI Fund, under Contract GS00Q14OADU119. The curriculum and opinions expressed in these documents are those of the authors, who are solely responsible for the content, and do not reflect the opinions of the CDFI Fund or any other person, entity, or organization.