Relevant Training Curriculum chapters can be found on the Resource Bank's main page.
Capitalization remains one of the largest challenges for most Native CDFIs. This course was designed to help Native CDFIs revisit or develop their own multi-faceted, long-term capitalization plan. Course material focused on various funding types, and the course presented strategies, partnerships, and tools to prepare Native CDFI practitioners to access a diversified funding base.
- Explain the essentials of capitalization planning;
- Describe key funding partners and their associated evaluation criteria;
- Formulate a capitalization strategy;
- Identify next steps to build the internal capacity necessary to support a more diversified funding base;
- Comfortably deliver a "pitch" to a funder and adapt that pitch based on funding partner type;
- Identify potential "entry points" and partners to access their most relevant funding sources;
- Explain the types of loans that can be sold on the secondary market and how to do it; and
- Outline the role of earned revenue and strategic partnerships in the overall capitalization structure.
- Capitalization Opportunities for Today and Tomorrow Presentation
- Capitalization Opportunities for Today and Tomorrow Manual
- Capitalization Opportunities for Today and Tomorrow Agenda
- Capitalization Plan Handout: A simplified sample of 3-year capitalization projections for a CDFI.
- Elevator Pitch Template: A tool designed to help you perfect the elevator pitch for your organization.
- Funder List: A list of potential Native CDFI funders.
- CAMELS Key Considerations and Ratios: Industry best practices use a CAMELS analysis (Capitalizations & Capital Structure, Asset Quality, Management, Earnings, Liquidity, Sensitivity) to measure financial health; this document provides key considerations and ratios for each category.
- Federal Funding Sources: Information about federal funding sources that could be used to support your Native CDFI.
- Summary of Investment Types: A summary of different investment types.
- Action Plan for Making your Capitalization Canvas a Reality: A worksheet for developing a simple action plan.
The compilation of these documents was funded by the CDFI Fund, under Contract GS00Q14OADU119. The curriculum and opinions expressed in these documents are those of the authors, who are solely responsible for the content, and do not reflect the opinions of the CDFI Fund or any other person, entity, or organization.